Saturday, November 6, 2010

Busy

song of the day: Corduroy, Jaymay

When people ask me nowadays how life is, I almost invariable answer: busy. I'm filled to the brim with work. Homework (surprisingly not so much as I would have expected), thoughts, ideas, schoolwork, traveling to and fro, keeping it all under control. But I guess you could say I sleep well when my head finally does hit the pillow.

I've been having odd and vivid dreams though. I always have been a dreamer of either grotesque or fantastic but definitely realistic dreams. I've got to start writing them down in here. Not today, though.
I have the best of people in my school. I love each one, and even the inevitable jerks still each have something I grudgingly admire in them. 

I know I picked the right friends when they knew who Eddie Izzard was, and had seen Amelie and Star Wars + Star Trek and listened to the Doors and David Bowie and all of them spewed with sarcasm. I sit with them at lunch and eat my customary large carrot before digging into whatever I packed for mealtime. The days are clear and biting. The air turns my nose cold in a second, yet the sun still shines bright whitened yellow and our colorfully adorned bodies still shriek and scream as we play our lunchtime away. It will be too cold soon. But then I can pack hot tea in a thermos and drink it during first period math class. Mmmm. . .

I'm officially on the Ultimate Frisbee team, so y'all best watch out. It's basically me and twelve guys age 15-17 running like maniacs around whatever field we can get in to practice, twice a week 2.5 hours a practice. I love it. I've grown up in a household surrounded by guys, so I have this slight out of the ordinary tendency to associate with them. I'm comfortable with these guys in a way I don't think many teenage girls are. I feel almost no sexual tension, and I feel at equals with them, at least off the playing field. On it is a different matter. They're all ten times better than me, easily. But I'll work my hardest and I'll get better, I know. Anyway, we can't afford to turn anyone away, since we're so tiny. Right now we seem a bit pathetic, but I know we will be the best, once season starts and we stop fooling around. We don't have a field to practice on. After school, we meet and go down to the park, and usually there's a locked field that we hop a fence into, but recently this parks department guy keeps coming in and threatening to give us a summons. So we're kind of homeless. Sucks. Soon soccer season will be over, though, and the fields will be empty. 

Classes are good, too. I'm learning bunches and bunches. The classes are very informal, but I think we're able to control ourselves enough to learn while we joking and calling out and eating and teasing. In advisory, we voted wether to play circle games, or talk politics. We chose politics, hands down. My physics teacher met his wife on World of Warcraft. We all find it too cute. 

In short, we're nerds of a feather, and I am very happy. I want to write about non-school things soon, but I needed to fill you in on this info first. I hope to be writing again ASAP. 

Love.

1 comment:

  1. it's so nice to hear your thoughts come all out like that :)
    i'm also glad you've found your people and yes by what you said you really have found perfect people for you and that school is perfect for you. im happy, but i wish i were as secure as you sound.
    i think it's hilarious your advisory chose to talk about politics.
    your description of lunch is also a nice little pocket in there, im so jealous of you being able to see and feel the sunshine as you eat. im rarely outside these days, and NO sunlight comes through my school's construction covered windows.
    <3

    ReplyDelete