Thursday, September 16, 2010

Shellshocked

song of the day: wallet, regina spektor

This place is amazing, but crazy. You know, I've spent the last couple years of my life reading (fiction) books about teens. All the stories are set in high school, this place of big kids, this milestone that seems so far away, just untouchable. But then, here I am! Among seventeen and eighteen year olds, guys with beards, kids who drive to school, I mean this is actually it, and that's shocking! I was still in denial over the summer, though I had thought it hit me. I'm one of the big kids on the bus who everyone hates, I'm someone with a personality and individuality and I'm old enough for people to notice that and me. It's nice, it's so nice. PLus I'm among my kind, my ilk. Its okay to read your book during lunch, it's okay to use very large words in normal conversations, it's okay to want to read your work out loud. In fact, it's just great to do such things! I love these people (well, some of them). Also, I've been learning and thinking hard about things and finding people on my level of work, which makes me realize how much I was missing at my old school--please don't think I'm being an egotist, I can put it no other way--and I've been making actual friends! I'm really into Ultimate Frisbee, so I bring a disc with me to school, and I've been playing every day at lunch and attracting a group as I go. It's started to get really competitive! So, yeah. Lola's happy yet a little shook up, as expected of a freshman in her first week. Report back more, later!

No comments:

Post a Comment